Monday, January 19, 2009

thoughts from leah.

Life...
Brent is still working hard at his 2 jobs so we can save money.
I am still working at Panera and going to school full time
and kitty tore up brents headphones last night (she is in the dog house) HA

today for me is a contemplative day.... so im not saying what i am saying to offend people, its just what I think. the subject is teenage pregnancy. when did people get so careless about babies. I am married at 18, but the first thing I did 3 months prior to marriage is a 3 year birth control implant. 50% of my close friends from high school are pregnant or have had kids... and so many MARRIED young people are just popping out the babies. I just don't understand what people are thinking, do people really think that is the sole purpose of life, just get married and have a "eternal" family. What about education, what about goals, what about learning your spouse as an individual for AT LEAST a year before you just start burning out kids. Dont get me wrong, stuff happens, and when you arent careful there really isnt anything you can do after the fact. for example, birth control fails and you have a baby... okay. but some people are trying it or just not doing anything to prevent it. seriously, do 16-20 year old mothers really think this is what its all about? some people really don't think at all. what about the fact you will probrably struggle for most of your life unless you have serious parental help and you will never go to school. or that your kid is gonna grow up and not go to school because they think that this is the way to go because of what you did, leading by example. people walk around with there pregnant pictures and gloat about there tiny babies in there 1 bedroom apartments and think this is some sort of divine intervention. what it really means, is you didn't use the technology that was provided for you so that YOU and your husband could have a future. the husband who now work 2 jobs to support there wives and kids so she can stay at home and change diapers and dust shelves. and that they will probrably work in some factory or car dealership foreverrrr and never fufill there educational or career inspired goals. what about the husbands years down the road when all the kids are gone, and you don't know him without them... and he realizes that stuff sucks and his jobs sucks and hes miserable, then what? what happens when they leave..... you just keep dusting wishing you had something to fall back on, but you don't because you never went to school.
these are just the things that I think about. i think about everyday how grateful i am to have thought and have been taught and be able to go to school and work hard to get stuff done. this doesnt mean that i dont see the bigger picture, because i do. life is all about family, i love my family. my mom is a 39 year old student, and she is doing things right. my dad is just trying to find himself and what he wants to do. they raise 2 handicapped children as their own and my brother and never take a breath. but growing up school is what she stressed, college, and my dad even more stressed college... i love kids, i want them someday when i am can build them a house and afford a babysitter. but until then its about priorities, it has nothing to do with being "wordly" it has to do with wanting to help people, be a doctor, raise my kids comfortably and truely know my husband.


so heres the advice... adopt a cat. they love you just the same :)

3 comments:

Dottie said...

I think you just turned 30!

Lori said...

This girl is growing by leaps and bounds. I don't think I recognize her. Having said that, there are some Leah who truly feel that having a lot of children is their life's calling. THOSE mothers must start fairly young and are some of the most AMAZING women that I know.

What no one told me was how much of a mother you still are after your kids leave. I thought you would hit the road & not look back. Instead, you hit the road & you realized that sometimes you do still need your parents. In most cases in the physical sense parents do not help their children as much as when they were at home, but MENTALLY your job is never over. You are ALWAYS thinking about your children, praying for their happiness & well being, & your heart never gets a break. If my heart was your home, you never left. :(

I CANNOT imagine my life without MY mother. It seems impossible to me that I could live without her. She means so much to me. Even now during this difficult time with Dad's job loss, I could hear Grammy's tears over the phone. I received all the instructions to go raid her house for food if we ran out of our own. :) Being a mother does not have an end date Leah. I do "get" what you're saying though, & I am so proud of you for being responsible and wanting to provide well for your family while being an important and necessary part of your community as well. I just remarked to someone today how much you have grown over the past few months. Your wisdom just keeps growing. Your mama loves you girl!

shell8170 said...

Wow Leah you are so wonderful to be thinking of your children rather than just your desires to have babies...it's true what your mom said that for some it is a calling but gosh life is so much harder when you don't have it all set up and ready for these babies...I'm glad you are getting to know your hubby and doing what you think is best for the two of you and for your future babies.

PS I love kitties! LOL